One service I offer is photo editing, retouching, and restoration. The gallery has before-after pairs showing examples of my work. Click on a picture to start the interactive gallery. Use the arrows on the screen or your keyboard to move between pictures. While in the gallery, click outside of the picture to leave.
You can open each pair of pictures in adjacent tabs, then switch back and forth quickly for a better comparison than the slide show provides.
A contact form is below the gallery. You can also call 413-267-4757
I needed a shot of me doing nature photography. The woods next door worked except for the junk couch in the background.
This fisheye lens image was taken as a series for a panoramic tour of this community center. It will be merged with other shots so that the vignetted corners and fringe will not show in the final scene, but the tripod knob in the bottom center has to go. I previously had my tripod configured to keep the knob out of the picture, but that setup did not work on this day.
After some careful work with the clone tool, the knob is gone. This required careful selection of source areas to blend the pattern correctly. The next image shows what the content aware healing brush tried to do.
This shows an attempt with the content aware healing brush. The pattern between the red borders was done well, but the borders are not quite right and there is a residual “stain”. These magic brushes are nice, but sometimes it takes a human’s superior pattern recognition and some close attention to detail to get the job done.
There was no way to block the light from down the hall from casting my shadow. Again, the vignetted corners and fringing will be merged out in the final scene.
It took a gradual process to blend “good” wall more and more into the shadow area. The healing brush always left smudges because it was always sampling from a dark area surrounding the brush stroke. There is a residue left, but it is not noticeable since viewers of the scene have no reference image to compare.
This set and the next are for starmap images I am making for one of my other web sites. I want just the lion and not any of the celestial lines. The image is from an old star atlas by Bode, and is public domain.
The selection tools, along with careful editing of the selection, were all that were needed for isolating the lion. Careful use of the cloning tool was needed to remove the lines.
Another starmap, this time with Virgo.
Once again the selection tools, with some tweaking, handled the isolation quite well. The line removal required close attention with the cloning tool. It is essential to keep tonal variations correct while cloning to reproduce the small-scale detail.
The following examples are from a program I produced for the planetarium of the Springfield (Mass) Science Museum. It concerns the extinction of dinosaurs and referenced forest fires following an asteroid impact. This photo from NASA was a good illustration except for the modern day deer.
The deer were removed for the show version.
This and the remaining examples from the dinosaur show production were from the museum’s collection and displays. The photography and editing are mine, but I did not feel at liberty to post the entire images. The crops should give an idea of the editing that was done. In this case, after lighting was controlled, some glare remained.
Glare has been reduced to an acceptable level.
This display was elevated above a doorway which made for tough control of the lighting. The glare on the leaves was from lights at the base of the display.
Problem solved with some color correction and selective re-saturation of the fronds.
This and the remaining dinosaur show examples were shot from a mural at the museum. In this case the artist worked across 2 sections of canvas. I sought to keep the painting feel to the images, but the seam was a bit much.
The seam is blended out.
I believe the spot to the left of the dino in the rock shadows was a stray drop of paint. In the overall mural it is not noticeable, but it stands out in the detail shots. The lighting also affected the color rendition and contrast.
Spot removal, tone and color adjustments done.
The texture of the canvas in places caused specular highlights, and the texture became a bit too prominent.
This was fixed while keeping the feel of the canvas. Tone and color corrections also made.
The canvas texture becomes a bit too prominent again here.
Some selective blurring was done, as well as tone and color correction.
This scene included a bit from another panel at the top. Also, I shot with less exposure for better color rendition, but in this case the brightness and contrast are a bit too subdued.
The section at the top has been rebuilt. I did this in the time before content-aware was available, but I don’t think it would have done the job. That works better when the area you want to remove is entirely surrounded by a desirable area. Tone and color corrections are also made.
In this case, the effects of the slight underexposure need to be corrected. rgb color spaces always wash out color as they get brighter, and I didn’t want that in the capture.
Tone and color corrections were done in the hsv space, which preserves saturation when brightening is done.
It is difficult to quote pricing without seeing the work to be done. It can take anywhere from a few minutes for basic tone-color corrections to over an hour for fine detail cloning work. Please contact me and I will do my best to quote a fair price.
Referral discount: If you refer someone to me who becomes a paying customer, I will give a 10% discount on the next service I do for you.